The MMUN4UN Teacher Course Curriculum
Even if you have attended an MMUN Teacher Course, the new MMUN4UN procedures will help you better engage your students in Global Citizenship.
MMUN4UN more closely reflects the interaction of the United Nations General Assembly Committees and Security Council, and provides more opportunities for your students to speak, to negotiate and to help fine-tune their Committee’s Resolution. And it prepares them for the next step—taking action.
There are multiple reasons why Teachers call MMUN Conferences “a life-changing event”. We invite you to join us to find out why.
Who Should Attend?
- All teachers (Montessori or non-Montessori) new to Montessori Model UN who want to have their students participate in the MMUN Conferences. It is a one-time activity required prior to attending all MMUN Conferences.
- Also, MMUN teachers who want to better understand the MMUN4UN new rules of procedure, line-by-line review and consensus-building process.
In a program created in collaboration with the United Nations, the Montessori Model UN provides students from 9-15 years of age an opportunity to:
- Learn about cultures, governments, and peoples of nations throughout the world.
- Use research, writing and oral communications skills.
- Develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills and evaluative skills.
- Debate current global issues and world problems.
- Practice and use leadership skills including collaboration and negotiation in a real-life global situation.
- Learn how to discover and communicate facts, not just opinions.
- Understand the need for peace and conflict resolution throughout the world while developing their own conflict resolution and debating skills.
In our twelve years as a leading peace education program, MMUN integrates well into your existing curriculum. Students broaden their knowledge on today’s global issues as they prepare to represent their country. They also engage in Global Citizenship:
- Through in-depth research, they learn about a country other than their own—it’s culture, history, and political position.
- Through debate, they hone critical thinking, critical listening and speaking skills.
- Through resolution writing, they learn to negotiate, build consensus, and resolve conflicts.
- They make friends with students from around the world.
- They develop the confidence to take action locally and globally.
At the Teacher Course you will:
- Receive a Montessori Model United Nations Manual with detailed guidelines on how to implement the MMUN4UN Program in your classroom.
- Learn resources for global education activities.
- Receive a Montessori Model UN Teacher Certificate.
How MMUN Benefits Your School:
- It demonstrates your school’s commitment to Peace Education and Global Citizenship.
- For parents and teachers, the opportunity to see their child’s progress as a Delegate at the United Nations or a UN Agency is a never-forgotten experience that will help them better understand the importance of your school to their child’s education.
- Many participating schools have received extensive local newspaper coverage as a result, giving them greater visibility in their community.
Upcoming MMUN Courses:
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: Do I have to register for the MMUN Teacher Course even if I have already participated in other Model UN Conferences? How is MMUN different?
Yes. We require all schools new to MMUN to send at least one teacher to the MMUN Teacher Course prior to registering your school and delegates. To find out how MMUN differs from other MUN programs, please click here.
Q: How many times do I need to take the MMUN Teacher Course?
Once. However, we suggest you attend webinar refresher sessions online as well as have recent manual available for reference. Each year we update and refine the materials in the manual.
Q: Will I need to take the training if I move to another school?
No. As an MMUN Certified Teacher, you are not required to take the on-site training again if you move to another school.
Q: What if the MMUN Certified Teacher moves on from our school?
Once the MMUN Certified Teacher leaves a school, the credentials go with them. Even school groups that have participated in MMUN for years would be required to send another teacher to become trained to be an MMUN Certified Teacher. This is why we always recommend having more than one MMUN Certified Teacher on staff to avoid these scenarios.
Q: Can I train multiple delegations if become a certified MMUN Teacher?
Once you become a certified MMUN teacher, you will be able to bring one delegation at a time to a conference. You will not be able to train separate delegations to attend the same conference. This must be organized under one registration group (which includes upper elementary and middle school groups).
Q: Can parents also take the MMUN Teacher Course?
Yes. Parents are welcome to attend the MMUN Teacher Course in order to effectively prepare student delegates to attend an MMUN Conference.