SHOWCASING YOUR COUNTRY: MMUN Design Contest (optional activity)
ACTIVITY: Create an original design for the MMUN Conference.
GOAL: Student contestants are asked to create a design for the conference that illustrates Maria Montessori’s vision of having children collaborate to find solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, the Sustainable Development Goals (to learn more: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org).
Please note that for the 2019 Conference the Goals selected for the Design Contest are:
2019 NYC FEBRUARY CONFERENCE – “Quality Education“: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
2019 NYC MARCH CONFERENCE -“Good Health and Well-Being“: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
2019 CHICAGO CONFERENCE – “Reduced Inequalities“: Reduce inequality within and among countries.
2019 ROME CONFERENCE – “Climate Action“: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
2019 HANGZHOU CONFERENCE – “Peace, justice, and strong institutions“: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
TIME: Four-six weeks before the conference.
MATERIALS: US letter or A4 paper. Design must be hand drawn by using paints or colored pencils. Students are requested to hand draw their design. Computer assisted designs will not be considered since the goal is for the students to create their own unique representations.
WINNING DESIGN: One design per conference is chosen. The winning design concept (1 per conference) will be developed by a professional designer to create the final image for the conference design (in a digital vector file).
The selection of the design contest winner is based upon a combination of factors, including: the concept expressed, the creativity, and the ability to develop the design concepts. The winning selection must be consistent and supportive of creating solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, the Sustainable Development Goals.
The design contest is not judgment on the technical design abilities of the submission.
The last date for design submissions differs by Conference:
- December 10th, 2018 for NYC Conference in February
- January 23rd, 2019 for NYC Conference in March
- February 22nd, 2019 for CHICAGO Conference in April
- April 5th, 2019 for ROME Conference in May
- September 27th, 2019 for HANGZHOU Conference in November
- The design must be hand drawn on a blank paper (US letter 8.5” x 11” or A4 paper 8.3” x 11.7”).
- Teachers must scan the drawing, save it as a PDF or JPEG, and upload it to the Design Contest Application Form on your school dashboard, within the deadlines for Step 3 (please note that they differs by Conference)
- Please indicate your school name, name, and age of the student who has created the design.
- Please upload a pdf that contains 2 pages: 1 for the design and 1 for with a short description (of 5 lines at least) of what the design symbolizes and the decision to have this image represent the SDG goal in question.