SHOWCASING YOUR COUNTRY: MMUN Design Contest (optional activity)
ACTIVITY: Create an original design for the MMUN Conference.
GOAL: Student contestants are asked to create a design for the conference that illustrates Maria Montessori’s vision of having children collaborate to find solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, the Sustainable Development Goals (to learn more: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org).
Please note that for the 2019-2020 Conference the Goals selected for the Design Contest are:
2019 HANGZHOU CONFERENCE – “Peace, justice, and strong institutions“: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
2020 NYC FEBRUARY CONFERENCE – “Gender Equality“: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
2020 NYC MARCH CONFERENCE -“Clear Water and Sanitation“: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
2020 CHICAGO CONFERENCE – “Sustainable Cities and Communities“: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
2020 ROME CONFERENCE – “Responsible Consumption and Production“: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
TIME: Four-six weeks before the conference.
MATERIALS: US letter or A4 paper. Design must be hand drawn by using paints or colored pencils. Students are requested to hand draw their design. Computer assisted designs will not be considered since the goal is for the students to create their own unique representations.
WINNING DESIGN: One design per conference is chosen. The winning design concept (1 per conference) will be developed by a professional designer to create the final image for the conference design (in a digital vector file).
The selection of the design contest winner is based upon a combination of factors, including: the concept expressed, the creativity, and the ability to develop the design concepts. The winning selection must be consistent and supportive of creating solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, the Sustainable Development Goals.
The design contest is not a judgment on the technical design abilities of the submission.
The last date for design submissions differs by Conference:
- September 27th, 2019 for HANGZHOU Conference in November 2019
- December 10th, 2019 for the 2020 NYC Conference in February
- January 10th, 2020 for the 2020 NYC Conference in March
- March 13th, 2020 for the 202o CHICAGO Conference in May
- March 27th, 2020 for the 2020 ROME Conference in May
- The design must be hand-drawn on a blank paper (US letter 8.5” x 11” or A4 paper 8.3” x 11.7”).
- Teachers must scan the drawing, save it as a PDF or JPEG, and upload it to the Design Contest Application Form on your school dashboard, within the deadlines for Step 3 (please note that they differs by Conference)
- Please indicate your school name, name, and age of the student who has created the design.
- Please upload a pdf that contains 2 pages: 1 for the design and 1 for with a short description (of 5 lines at least) of what the design symbolizes and the decision to have this image represent the SDG goal in question.
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org