SHOWCASING YOUR COUNTRY: MMUN Design Contest (optional activity)
ACTIVITY: Create an original design for the MMUN Conference.
GOAL: Student contestants are asked to create a design for the conference that illustrates Maria Montessori’s vision of having children collaborate to find solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, the Sustainable Development Goals (to learn more: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org).
Please note that for the 2020-2021 Online Conference the Goals selected for the Design Contest are:
2020 DECEMBER ONLINE CONFERENCE – SDG 1 “No Poverty“: End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
2021 FEBRUARY ONLINE CONFERENCE – SDG 2 “Zero Hunger” – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
2021 MARCH ONLINE CONFERENCE – SDG 8 “Decent Work and Economic Growth” – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
TIME: Four-six weeks before the conference.
MATERIALS: US letter or A4 paper. Design must be hand drawn by using paints or colored pencils. Students are requested to hand draw their design. Computer assisted designs will not be considered since the goal is for the students to create their own unique representations.
WINNING DESIGN: One design per conference is chosen. The winning design concept (1 per conference) will be developed by a professional designer to create the final image for the conference design (in a digital vector file).
The selection of the design contest winner is based upon a combination of factors, including: the concept expressed, the creativity, and the ability to develop the design concepts. The winning selection must be consistent and supportive of creating solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, the Sustainable Development Goals.
The design contest is not a judgment on the technical design abilities of the submission.
The last date for design submissions differs by Conference:
- November 2nd, 2020 for the 2020 DECEMBER ONLINE CONFERENCE
- December 10th, 2020 for the 2021 FEBRUARY ONLINE CONFERENCE
- January 22nd, 2021 for the 2021 MARCH ONLINE CONFERENCE
- The design must be hand-drawn on a blank paper (US letter 8.5” x 11” or A4 paper 8.3” x 11.7”).
- Teachers must scan the drawing, save it as a PDF or JPEG, and upload it to the Design Contest Application Form on your school dashboard, within the deadlines for Step 3 (please note that they differs by Conference)
- Please indicate your school name, name, and age of the student who has created the design.
- Please upload a pdf that contains 2 pages: 1 for the design and 1 for with a short description (of 5 lines at least) of what the design symbolizes and the decision to have this image represent the SDG goal in question.
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com