MMUN Alaska Environmental Summit
July 9th – July 15th, 2018
Alaska is a land of many natural wonders. One hundred four million acres are in conservation areas to protect Alaska’s incredible and unmatched beauty. Glacier Bay National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage site. As a UNESCO World Heritage site, it has to meet strict requirements. The following is criteria used to select Alaska’s parks as a UNESCO World Heritage site, “to contain the most important and significant natural habitats for in situ conservation of biological diversity, including those containing threatened species of outstanding universal value from the point of view of science or conservation.” This is one reason why MMUN has chosen Alaska as its location for its Environmental Summit. We will see some of the world’s most beautiful and protected regions in the plans. Our summit will take us through Glacier Bay, Mt Denali National Park, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alaska Sealife Center, Mushing dog kennel, the Alaska Railroad, park ranger led hikes, Kenai Fjords National Park, and a glacier cruise.
Evening guided discussions will be held at the hotels to discuss and review each day of exploration. Listed below are some of the topics to be discussed:
- How to create, develop, and implement a social action project
- How Alaska park services have worked for the conservation of marine life, land animals and plant life
- How students can create conservation efforts in their community to protect wildlife, marine life, plant life and the environment in general
Day 1: July 9th, 2018
Arrive into Alaska’s largest city, Anchorage. Upon arrival (arrive by 5:00 p.m.) into Anchorage, you will be met by your local tour director, and be transferred to your hotel. Dinner will be included this evening. Overnight Anchorage.
Day 2: July 10th, 2018
Breakfast will be included this morning. You will board your deluxe motorcoach and transfer to the quaint town of Talkeetna where you will then board the Alaska Railroad Adventure Class Train Cars for a scenic train north to Denali, home to six million acres of pristine wilderness and Denali, the highest mountain in North America at 20,310 feet. This evening, enjoy dinner and a Welcome to the Sub Arctic one-hour talk and learn about the history of Denali National Park from the ground up before touring the park tomorrow. Overnight Denali Area.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Day 3: July 11th, 2018
Breakfast will be included this morning. On this day, enjoy the Murie Excursion. This excursion will provide a unique experience in Denali. Explore the works of characters such as Adolph Murie and contemporary park wildlife biologists, and discover the reasons why humans wish to preserve this place. This tour takes you into Denali National Park with guides and stops along the way for hikes, as well as, using equipment/props for enhanced learning via the use of scopes and telemetry. This tour is approximately six hours. Dinner will be included this evening. Overnight Denali area.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Day 4: July 12th, 2018
Breakfast will be included this morning. On this day, you will board your deluxe motorcoach for a scenic transfer south to the coastal community of Seward. En-route enjoy a visit to the home of four-time Iditarod winner, Martin Buser, at Happy Trails Kennel. Learn about the history of the Last Great Race and the life and art of mushing dogs in Alaska. You even get to cuddle with puppies. Continue your journey south and stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center where you will get the chance to view Alaska’s wildlife up close. Enjoy dinner upon arrival in Seward. Overnight Seward.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Day 5: July 13th, 2018
Breakfast will be included this morning. On this morning, enjoy a visit to the Alaska Sealife Center. The Center is the only cold water research facility in North America and takes in injured and orphaned marine wildlife from all of Alaska’s 33,000 miles of coastline. Later this morning, board your vessel as you cruise into the Kenai Fjords National Park (12 -4:30p.m.) viewing Marine Wildlife and Glaciers. Keep an eye out for whales, sea lions, sea otters, puffins and much more. Look for calving glaciers and feel the chill as you approach. Enjoy lunch at Fox Island on your 4 ½ hour cruise. Enjoy dinner in the evening. Overnight Seward.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 6: July 14th, 2018
Breakfast will be included this morning. On this day, enjoy a visit to Exit Glacier for a ranger-led hike where you will have the chance to walk up close to a glacier. After, board your deluxe motorcoach for your transfer back to Anchorage. En-route, enjoy a visit to the Begich Boggs Visitor Center, located in scenic Portage Valley. Upon arrival to Anchorage, transfer to your hotel and enjoy dinner this evening. Overnight Anchorage.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Day 7: July 15, 2018
Breakfast will be included this morning. Transfer to the Anchorage Airport for your flight.
Exclusive tour to MMUN attendees
This is our private tour open exclusively to MMUN attendees.
- Opportunity to interact with students from around the world who have similar interest in Environmental Sustainability.
- Field ecological experience. Students will experience hands-on learning about the interdependency of the ocean, lands and living creatures.
- Daily tours led by highly trained specialists who spent years studying Alaska’s unique ecological environment.
- Students will learn how to create sustainable projects that can be implemented in their community.
- Opportunity to gain university credit even as a middle school student. Eastern Washington University recognizes the educational value of this tour program. The university has a format to document the experience that allows students to achieve 1-2 university credits.
Flights are not included in the tour price. However, flights can be secured at discounted pricing with our travel team. We get the lowest fares as we work directly with consolidators and suppliers.
Through Allianze Insurance, our third-party travel protection plan provider, we offer a variety of plans that help protect your educational travel investment. For pricing on travel insurance, please contact Raphael Forestieri at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meals included: Breakfast (6) – mix of continental & buffet; Lunch (1) – on cruise; Dinner (6). Other lunches are not included however affordable options will be made available. For any questions, please contact email@example.com
- Sign-up deposit of $500USD per person due by Dec 31st, 2016
- Remainder due by March 31st, 2017
- $2099 Per Person Quad Occupancy*
- $2199 Per Person Triple Occupancy*
- $2299 Per Person Double Occupancy
- $2799 Per Person Single Occupancy
*Triple/Quad rooms have two double beds in the room. There is bed sharing.
- Tour Director will be with the group throughout the entire land tour
- Alaska Park ranger guides in specific sites
- All deluxe private transfers throughout, luggage handling, all applicable taxes and sightseeing tours as indicated
- Meals included: Breakfast (6) – mix of continental & buffet; Lunch (1) – on cruise; Dinner (6)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Hotel lodging (as per itinerary)
- Visits to select attractions (as per itinerary)
- Hotels included in the above pricing based on: Anchorage – Springhill Suites UAA or similar; Healy – Totem Hotel or similar; Seward- Breeze Inn or similar; Anchorage – Springhill Suites UAA or similar.
Tour does not Include
- Flights or travel insurance
- Gratuities for local tour director and driver (not included in the tour quote). Recommended amount: $5.00 per person per day for the tour director and $5.00 per person per day for the driver.